This free webinar will introduce attendees to the concept of embodied carbon calculation in buildings, Environmental Product Declarations, Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Costing, and how this can be linked to Building Information Modelling.
The Irish Green Building Council has launched an Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) programme as a first step towards mainstreaming the Life Cycle Assessment of buildings where the impacts of each stage are considered. EPD provide the data that enables the calculation of embodied Carbon and other impacts associated with the construction of buildings. EPD, embodied carbon calculation and Life cycle assessment follow European standards EN 15804 and EN 15978. The use of BIM enabled software such as One Click LCA speeds up the process of calculation to the standards and allows designers to evaluate the carbon footprint of the building for different design concepts.
RIAI accredited CPD – One hour structured CPD
It will provide the attendees with the following information.
- Why embodied impacts of construction materials are important to consider.
- Understand the role of Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) in providing transparent data for construction products and calculation of Embodied carbon.
- Understand why this is important for Building level embodied carbon calculation and Life Cycle Assessment(LCA)
- Understand briefly some other environmental impacts are considered by EPD and Life cycle assessment.
- Be aware of the key standards used such as EN15804 and EN15978
- The use of the standards in certification systems such as Home Performance Index, LEED,BREEAM and the EU sustainability framework Level(s)
- Understand the integration of EPD into software and BIM to provide quality assured calculation
- Understand the connection with Life Cycle Costing and LCA.
- The opportunities for consultants in Embodied carbon calculation LCA and LCC.
Ms Tytti Bruce-Hyrkas (MSc) is a building LCA expert with personal experience from over 100 buildings and Infrastructure LCAs. She is also a developer of One Click LCA– the highest rated LCA tool for BREEAM. She teaches yearly approx. 200 certification professionals, other sustainability experts and university students around Europe to use building LCA.
Pat Barry is the CEO of the Irish Green Building Council. IGBC have recently established a national Environmental Product Declaration programme to allow local producers to declare the impacts of their products. Pat is an architect with over 20 years’ experience in the construction sector in Ireland Europe and South America. He has an MSc in Environmental Design of Buildings from the University of Cardiff, is a qualified Passive House designer and a qualified DGNB assessor.
With the suport of :
Bookings are closed for this event.