The Irish Green Building Council – IGBC, a non-profit organisation was launched in 2011 with organisations and businesses from the entire value chain of the built environment.
All are united in one common goal to accelerate the transformation of the built environment, related industry and supply chain to one that is sustainable through leadership, research, education, and providing policy input to national and local government.
Through its drive and commitment, the IGBC successfully brought together a wide range of diverse stakeholders to identify and propose solutions to the challenges and opportunities we face in upgrading our homes and businesses.
– Minister Denis Naughten T.D. – Activity Report 2017
The IGBC is a company limited by guarantee registered under Part 18 of the Companies Act 2014, company number 492948.
The IGBC is a registered charity approved by the Charities Regulator. Registered Charity Number (RCN): 20155568
The IGBC is committed to working effectively and with integrity by being transparent and accountable in all our activities and by adopting best practice procedures. To this end, the IGBC has embarked on the journey of compliance with the Governance Code, Ireland’s code of practice for good governance in the community, voluntary and charity sectors.
The IGBC offsets its transport related carbon emissions by annually sponsoring trees with the Native Woodland Trust.
The Council aims to:
- Provide a source of leadership for sustainability and quality in the built environment
- Promote and assist in the provision of credible metrics for measuring progress towards the end goal of sustainability
- Provide a source of resources to companies transitioning their activities towards more sustainable practices
- Be central to alignment of the policies of organisations seeking to achieve sustainability in the built environment
The Irish Green Building Council is looking to transform the Irish industry to sustainable practices through policy creation, education and provision of tools to measure and accelerate progress.
- The IGBC is at the heart of inputting into national policy affecting the Irish built environment. The IGBC is involved in supporting large scale energy renovation projects including Piloting energy efficient mortgages in Ireland from June 2018 and developing a framework for a customer-friendly energy efficiency accreditation for building professionals.
- We promote greener homes through smarter finance, partnering with banks and developers to create a robust green mortgage product that will withstand climate-stress testing and sit comfortably in ESG portfolios.
- We support Green Public Procurement training public procurers in Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and developing guidance on incorporating Level(s), LCA, LCC and IAQ indicators into public procurement
- We are bringing buildings into the Circular Economy, aiming to move the industry to a low carbon circular model of construction and away from a take make waste model.
Education, Training and Events
- The IGBC host regular green building events and education modules.
- Training courses provided by the IGBC include green building certification such as LEED, BREEAM and the Home Performance Index – HPI, as well as building Life Cycle Analysis. Find upcoming training courses here.
- We created a section of our website, the Learning Hub, where you can find a mix of webinars, reading materials and links to key resources on energy & carbon, circularity, health & wellbeing, Certification, Sustainable Communities and Finance.
The IGBC encourage the provision of sustainable building tools including:
- Environmental Product Declarations Platform to enable the mainstreaming of life cycle assessment for buildings in Ireland.
- Comprehensive listing of green building certifications accredited professional (LEED, BREEAM and HPI).
- The Home Performance Index, Ireland’s first national quality and sustainability assessment system for new housing
The IGBC is affiliated with the World Green Building Council as an established member. This is a network of over 75 national Green Building Councils worldwide with a total membership of over 27,000 of the most progressive international organisations and businesses making it the largest organisation globally influencing the green building market. We participate in the European Network of GBCs to influence policy at a European level.
Want to join our mission to transform the Irish construction and property sector into a global leader in quality and sustainability?
Quality Sustainable Building
Interested in learning more about Green Building?
Annual Reports & Accounts
See below for details on our Annual Reports and Accounts.