Salary €33,000 – €45,000 commensurate with experience, skills and qualifications.
Do you believe that action on climate change is the defining issue of our times and that the built environment plays a key role? Do you have a professional background in construction sector and sustainability? Do you want to work in a position where you can change the whole system rather than one building at a time? If you are passionate about sustainability,and want to be at the leading edge of creating that change then come and work with us.
WHO DO WE NEED?
We are seeking a technical support officer to increase the capacity of the organisation, grow and audit our certification programmes and develop simple technical guidance for the industry.
You are joining a small staff (currently 4 but expected to grow further in 2019 due to rapidly expanding workload) and you will need to be flexible and work across a wide range of activities and projects. Your main role will be to manage the day to day activities of the technical programmes Home Performance Index and EPD Ireland and lead their development. We have also recently won funding on a number of exciting H2020 Projects related to mortgages for new and existing homes, the renovation customer journey,policy and skills for the built environment.
- Home Performance Index is a certification system for new residential development developed by the Irish Green Building Council. This is now seeing uptake from the leading residential developers in Ireland and is expected to grow rapidly in 2019.
- EPD Irelandis our Environment Product Declaration programme which is expected to grow across 2019 driven by certification schemes such as HPI, BREEAM and LEED. In addition we will be working closely with our European partners to promote Embodied carbon and life cycle assessment in 2019.
Who is the Irish Green Building Council
The Irish Green Building Council was established in 2011 as an independent, non-profit membership organisation, to provide leadership in the transformation to a sustainable built environment. The IGBC is made up of the most progressive organisationsworking in the Irish Property and construction sector.
It is affiliated with 70 national Green Building Councils that form the World Green Building Council, the largest organisation influencing sustainable construction worldwide. IGBC is now at an exciting stage of its development as it rolls out two programmes, the Home Performance Index and EPD Ireland.
Ideally you have a practical background in construction, and sustainability in the Irish context with a high degree of technical skill. This can be either through qualifications or experience. You are familiar with the quality control aspects of certification tools, have a strong focus on detail and are highly numerate.
Highly motivated, ability to focus on detail without losing the bigger picture. Good technical ability.
Responsibilities will include
- Leading the expansion of the Home Performance Index certification for new housing in Ireland including, research and further development of guidance in the technical manual, additional indicators, auditing of submitted schemes and delivery of training.
- Managing the Environmental Declaration Programme – EPD Ireland, including liaising with manufacturers, verifiers to develop the final published EPD.
- Lead the development of the quality control systems for managing certification systems.
- Input into the technical development areas of other IGBC projects such as Building Renovation Passports, embodied carbon and Life Cycle Assessment capacity building.
- As with all IGBC staff, support member engagement and recruitment activities, demonstrating insights into the business drivers for sustainability and helping to ensure members extract maximum value from IGBC membership.
Qualifications and Experience required
- 3rdlevel primary qualifications in architecture, engineering or construction.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ work experience in the Construction sector.
- Good numeracy skills and understanding of energy measurement terminology in buildings
Desirable but not essential
- Good technical skills in sustainability with broad knowledge of different sustainability assessment schemes LEED, BREEAM etc.
- Knowledge of Irish Building regulations and the BC(A)R system, Part L, Passive House etc.
- Ability to develop Excel spreadsheets.
- Good written and spoken English skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills – face-to-face, telephone, email.
- Demonstrated commitment and knowledge of broad systems sustainability.
- Salary €33,000 – €45,000 commensurate with experience, skills and qualifications.
If you believe that you are the right person to help us transform our industry, send a CV and an email outlining (in one page) what you would bring to the position and the IGBC to [email protected].