The Housing Agency is a government agency with a focus on supporting:
- Local authorities
- the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government (DHPLG)
- Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs)
The Housing Agency also implements the Pyrite Remediation Scheme and is the interim regulator of the AHB sector.
The Housing Agency was established under Statutory Instrument SI 264 of 2012, and Statutory Instrument SI 265 of 2012, under the Local Government Services (Corporate Bodies) Act 1971 (as amended).
It is a non-commercial state agency under the aegis of the DHPLG. It works closely with its colleagues in DHPLG to ensure and support the delivery of ministerial policy objectives. The Housing Agency is subject to the Code of Practice for the Governance of State- Sponsored Bodies and the Public Spending Code.
The Housing Agency’s primary function is to provide the services for, and on behalf of, the Minister of Housing, Planning and Local Government, and each local authority in the performance of their functions under the Housing Acts. These services include:
- Housing Research and Analysis
- Housing Supply Supports and Advice
- Local Authority Services
- Approved Housing Body Services
- Mortgage Supports
- Acquisitions Programme
- Housing Projects and Procurement Services
- Pyrite Remediation
- Regulation of Approved Housing Bodies