The course will cover specification of construction materials and sustainability. It will look at life cycle analysis (LCA) and assessment of materials, and how to improve the environmental impact of products, covering the different environmental labelling schemes. It covers the preparation and interpretation of Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) and how they can be used to carry out full building level LCA. It will give an overview of the different LCA databases and how they are being used across Europe. It will look at the future of sustainable construction materials including case studies and examples.
Why Learn about Sustainable Materials and LCA?
If you are involved with specifying materials for construction then you need to understand how to choose materials that reduce environmental impacts. If you are involved in manufacturing products or in innovation then you need to understand how to assess and minimise environmental impacts of your products and how to demonstrate this through 3rd party accreditation to potential customers.
- Understand the key European legislation that impacts on construction products
- Understand European standardisation of measurement of sustainability of products, and how this impacts export markets
- Understand how construction products are treated in Building Sustainability assessment schemes, BREEAM, LEED and DGNB
- Understand different categories of Eco labels and how they are different.
- Learn how to use an Environmental Product Declaration (EPD)
- Understand how different specification choices impacts sustainability and overall Building Life cycle impact.
- Gain an insight into the future for sustainable products
9:30 – Registration and Networking
10:00 – Introduction and Welcome
1:00 – Lunch
2:00 – Resumes
4:00 – Q&A/Closing